A New Pink Cielo Top

I've done the Cielo Top by Closet Core Patterns three times now. The first one wasn't a great success - the fabric choice was all wrong. The second one was much more successful and I've been wearing it regularly so really wanted to make another.


The fabric is a beautiful rayon challis from Minerva.com. The colour is gorgeous and it feels amazing. It was a little bit challenging to work with, but I just took my time and it all worked out.

Pattern Details:

The Cielo Top and Dress by Closet Core Patterns came out a couple of years ago and was part of their Rome Collection. The pattern has four different views: View A is a short sleeve boxy top, View B is a boxy top with lantern sleeves, View C is a dress with really clever pockets and short sleeves and View D is a dress with the lantern sleeves. 

There is a really fun angled shoulder yoke which you can use a contrasting fabric for (I've seen some really fun versions with lace at the shoulders). The neckline on all views can be finished with bias binding or a facing.

This pattern is easy enough for a beginner but it has some really interesting features which I think a more advanced sewist would enjoy.

The pattern size range is 0 to 32 (full bust of 31" to 60"). 


Instructions and Construction:

This pattern was part of Closet Core Patterns' online class for beginners so the instructions are flawless. The pattern really holds your hands at every step - it even includes a section at the beginning which covers how to grade a seam, sew a French seam, under-stitching and stitching in the ditch.

All of the instructions include clear diagrams with each piece clearly identified. Every single step is included and there are no assumptions made about the reader's skill level. Everything from stay stitching the neckline to pressing the seams is included.

The instructions even include alternatives for some of the steps. For example, I'm not crazy about topstitching facings down but the pattern suggest tacking it down at the shoulders only which is what I did. I love the finish!


Would I make this again?

Yes, but there are definitely some things I want to change for next time. Even though this is now my third version, my body has changed significantly since my very first one and although my blue version still fits, I re-took my measurements before making this one. As a result, I went with a size 16 (C cup). Note that my pattern is the "old" one - it has since been updated and no longer includes a C cup.


There is a little bit of pulling at the armhole which leads me to believe I should have stuck with the D cup for my new version. I also lengthened the top by 2 inches which I really didn't need to do. I was afraid the top would be a little too short for my liking and now I think it's too long.


The fabric is pooling a little bit at the back but I suspect that's because I should have graded up to an 18 at the hips - the top is a tiny bit snug at the hips.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my new top. It isn't perfect, but it's definitely good enough to wear to work from home.

I'm planning to make the dress at some point. I would love to make the gathered lantern sleeves in a fabric more appropriate for Fall/Winter. I think it would look pretty cool with tights and boots.



Comments