A New Cowl Neck Top

I cleaned out my Fall/Winter closet a couple of weeks ago and discovered I need more tops to wear with pants and my many cardigans. And I've always loved cowl neck tops so went in search of a pattern for a sleeveless one.

I found this one from So Sew Easy. It was pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

This was meant as a Fall/Winter top so I used a sweater knit from Minerva. It drapes beautifully and isn't a heavy knit so I thought it would work perfectly for a cowl neck. It was really easy to sew with and is really, really comfortable.


The fabric has some purple in it so I decided to try wearing it with my new purple Ponte Monica skirt (you can read about it here).

Let's talk about the pattern. It is drafted ok and the size I chose based on my measurements fits me fine. But I really am not crazy about how this top is sewn together. It has facings for the back and the armholes but the armholes are finished before sewing up the side seams. Which means there is an unattractive seam under the arm. Also the front neckline isn't finished in any way so you have the raw edges that keep poking out so I'm constantly adjusting the cowl. A little annoying.


Also, this thing is crazy long - I took off 5 inches from the hem and in these pictures, I've got at least 2 more inches turned under to have the top fall where I want it to.


None of these things are making my new top unwearable obviously. I wore it that day with the purple skirt and a black cardigan and the whole outfit was incredibly comfortable.



The details:

I probably won't make this again, but I do like the finished top!



Comments