True Romance Bishop Sleeve Top - Pattern Review

I'm always looking for cute and professional tops now that I'm working from home (there are currently no plans to send us back to the office) and I think I found a really good one in the True Romance Bishop Sleeve Top by Pattern Emporium.


This is a boatneck top with many different sleeve finishes - 5 in fact - and 4 different hems. You can make this top with a bottom band at the waist, at the hips, leave it unbanded or simply turn the hem up like you would a tee.

I made the dramatic cuffed sleeves with the tee hem. My measurements put me in a size 20 and that is what I went with. The pattern does not come in a very large size range: 6 to 22. It will accommodate a bust from 29.5" to 45.25" and hips from 33.5" to 49.25".


The fabric suggestions for the pattern include anything with at least 50-100% horizontal stretch and a little bit of vertical stretch. You could use rayon or viscose jersey, bamboo jersey or double brushed poly. I chose a beautiful ITY from Minerva.com.

Pattern Emporium patterns have a number of really good features: they offer a printing guide to avoid printing pages you won't need for the version you're making, they display a large number of tester photos so you can see the garment on a variety of bodies and they even provide hacks and mashes you can make with their patterns.


The instructions for this pattern are really good (like all of the Pattern Emporium patterns I've made so far) with lots of pictures. The only little thing I thought was strange is how the pattern has you assemble the cuffs. And that is definitely something I'm going to do differently next time.

And there will be a next time! I have a viscose jersey in my stash that would look really good as this top.



Comments