A Crib Size Pulsar Quilt

I'm not a huge fan of the colour orange and yet, this is my fourth or fifth orange quilt now. Turns out my stash had quite a few orange fat quarters in it and I do like it with a black background, so when I made the decision to work on the Pulsar quilt and make a crib size quilt from it, I pulled four orange fat quarters and Kona Black.


I cannot tell you how much I love this pattern! It was super fun to make and I just love the results. This design is so versatile, I can see it with a number of different background colours - or a monochromatic quilt with the background in navy blue and four different shades of blue. I am definitely going to make more quilts from this pattern.

I chose to make the crib size as my first version (the pattern provides instructions for crib, baby, lap, queen and king). And because it was a smaller quilt, I wanted to get a little fancier with the quilting. I stitched straight lines to frame the arrows and in each section created by the straight lines, I quilted swirls which I hadn't done in a really long time.


I ran out of black Aurifil thread (really need to order some!) so settled on a dark brown which I thought would blend in ok. It's not perfect, but I'm fine with that. And I'm very happy with the overall look of the quilting.


The binding is Kona Black and to piece the backing, I used leftover pieces from the quilt I made my daughter a few weeks ago.




The details:
  • Pattern designer: The Quilting Jetgirl
  • Size: 36.5" square
  • Difficulty: Easy
  • Instructions/construction: Yvonne's instructions are impeccable. This is a really easy pattern to make and I love how the flying geese are pieced.
  • Would I make this again? Most definitely! I think a queen size version in blues would be amazing.



Comments

  1. Oh, it just glows, Izzy! I love the texture you created with the swirls in the background and look forward to seeing other versions you make, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment