Scrappy Lattice in Blue

I've had the Scrappy Lattice pattern from Bonjour Quilts in my pattern stash for a while and I also had a stack of 3.5" blue squares so I got to work!

This was such a fun project to work on. The pattern has a number of sizes and you could go crazy with the colours - Bonjour Quilts has a blog post on making this pattern in the colours of the rainbow and it looks fantastic. I may have to cut up more squares from my scrap bins and make more of these quilts!


The sashing is Kona Ash. I'm not sure that was the best choice for this pattern though. I think the design is more effective in a sashing fabric that offers more contrast with the colourful scraps. If you look at the tester versions at the link above, you'll see that a much darker or a much lighter fabric for the sashing really shows off the "lattice" and that my choice of using grey doesn't. Not a huge deal obviously, but when I make this again, I'll go with something different.


I went with blue Aurifil thread in 50 wt for the quilting. I stitched a square meander which I thought would be a pretty good match for the "lattice" design. I really like this FMQ design - the texture is awesome and it really doesn't matter if your stitches are a little wobbly.


The backing is a 108" wide fabric I purchased from Connecting Threads a while ago. Quick and easy backing with no piecing necessary. When I'm done with a quilt top, I typically don't want to spend a lot of time piecing the back - I want to jump right into the basting stage and get to the quilting. So these 108" wide fabrics are just perfect.


I searched through my stash for a blue fabric to make the binding with, but in the end, I decided to use Kona Ash. It obviously blends in perfectly with the sashing but again, I don't love the lack of contrast - I just find it a little boring.


Overall, I'm pleased with my Scrappy Lattice quilt. I got to use up some more scraps and I have a nice size quilt for my hubby to nap with (he was complaining about the lack of larger quilts for him to use for nap time).

The details:
  • Pattern: Scrappy Lattice by Bonjour Quilts
  • Size: Twin Size (63.5" x 81.5")
  • Fabrics: Kona Ash and blue scraps from my stash 
  • Thread: Pieced with Aurifil #2600 (dove) and quilted with Aurifil #2780 (blue)



Comments

  1. It's gorgeous. Love the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great size quilt; could you tell that you reduced the size of your blue scraps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the kona ash version as your scraps seem to dance over the quilt. When I looked at some of the other options, the sashing was prominent. You made a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too like the gray. The blues remind me of a mosaic and are more prominent in a good way. I don't think I would have been tempted to make the quilt if I had seen it first with the dominant lattice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your version, looks like the blocks are floating. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment