My Practice Version of the Pona Jacket

When Helen's Closet published its Pona Jacket pattern a few months ago, I wasn't sure I wanted to make it - wasn't sure the really boxy shape of the jacket would suit me. But then I started seeing versions pop up on Instagram and some of them were so nice, I just had to try it.

I didn't really have anything in my stash that would have been perfect for this, but I found a Cotton & Steel quilting cotton I purchased for a quilt back so decided to make a practice version with that. (It's an Alexia Marcelle Abegg print called All the Warm Fuzzies.)


I made View B (the shorter version) but used the longer length for the sleeves.  The pattern suggests choosing the size based on your bust measurement because there is a lot of ease around the waist and hips so I went with a size 16.




This is 100% cotton so it wrinkles like crazy - I took these photos the day after I finished it. It had been pressed but then hung in my closet overnight and all those wrinkles you can see on the back were from just getting squeezed in! I can just imagine what this would look like after sitting at my desk for a whole day.

Like all of Helen's patterns, the instructions for the Pona are stellar. She really holds your hand through the whole thing - this was my very first jacket and it came together fairly easily.

I'm really tempted to purchase some light-weight denim or chambray and make another version. Or maybe a nice flowy tencel would be nice too.



The details:
  • Pattern: Pona Jacket by Helen's Closet
  • Size: 16 based on my bust measurement
  • Fabrics: All the Warm Fuzzies by Alexia Marcelle Abegg for Cotton & Steel


Comments

Post a Comment