Rustic in Purple

I love purple! I've used varying shades of it in my quilting, my wardrobe is filled with it and I've also been known to wear the colour on my nails. When I added Rustic on my list for Q2 of the 2018 FAL, I knew I would most likely use different shades of purple to make it.

Rustic is a pattern from the book Southwest Modern by Kristi Schroeder
In the end, I went with Kona White, Orchid, Eggplant, Crocus and Bubblegum.  I love how the first three look together, but I have to admit, I'm a little bit disappointed with the last two. Overall, I really like this quilt though.

For the quilting, I decided to use the flower design once again, but this time, I quilted the designs quite big with about a half inch between each repeat. I chose to use Aurifil 50 wt in Dove (#2600). It almost disappears on the lighter colours but I love the contrast with the Eggplant.


The binding is Kona Orchid. And the backing is a gorgeous print I purchased recently. I love the butterflies and there is some purple in there.


I brought the quilt to the island cottage over the weekend so I could photograph it in a setting with lots of greenery. And when we came back to the city on Sunday, I decided to leave the quilt there. It really looked very nice on the sofa!

Stats:
  • Pattern: Rustic from the book Southwest Modern by Kristi Schroeder
  • Size: 60.5" x 70.5" 
  • Fabrics: Kona White, Eggplant, Crocus, Bubblegum and Orchid 
  • Thread: Pieced and quilted with Aurifil #2600 (light grey) in 50 wt


This is finish number 10 on my Q2 List for the 2018 FAL!

I will be linking up at a few fun places this week:

Chez Vies for TGIFF
Busy Hands Quilts for Finished or Not Friday
My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday

Comments

  1. I love these colors and the quilt. Its such a striking design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the quilt turned out to be lovely and reminds me of spring and summer flowers. Any thoughts on what colors you would prefer or how you might go about selecting for the next time around? An experience like this lead to me buying a Kona color card once and then getting the nerve to cut it up after another time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yvonne. I’m not sure what other colours I would select next time around - I just think those 2 don’t quite work. I have the Kona card but I have yet to find the courage to cut it up. I totally should though... picking colours would be so much easier!

      Delete
  3. Strikingly beautiful quilt. And the butterfly fabric is really pretty. Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In general I find purple really difficult to work with too. Because it can have either blue or red tones, and the two often don't play nicely. The solids are really vibrant and I love your choice of backing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how this quilt turned out! I don't normally gravitate towards purple, but this is definitely making me rethink that! The FMQ flowers are a perfect counterpoint to the graphic design of the pattern. Well done and lucky cottage getting jazzed up with such a pretty quilt ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the texture from your quilting. I love the purple too. What a fun layout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great quilt design and I really love your colors and quilting design you used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great pattern. It's a striking design. Your quilting is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Purple is my favorite color, and that's a whole lotta purple gorgeousness right there!!!!! Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment