Josef Albers Inspired Mini #1

I first heard about Josef Albers a couple of years ago, I think during a Montreal MQG meeting. I googled him and I immediately thought how his work would translate so beautifully into quilts. I found and installed an app on my iPad which allows you to play with Albers' colour studies. Super cool!

I have been playing with the app and thinking up ways to make a quilt inspired by his work for months now. And then during the Holidays, I decided to make a series of mini quilts inspired by Albers' colour studies.

The first mini is now done!


I used solids for this one so the colours would really shine - Kona Silver, Kona Black, Kona Mint and the small squares are Kona Iron. I think it's pretty cool how the Iron looks so different when next to Kona Black.


I quilted in the ditch around the small squares and then used my walking foot to stitch straight lines about 1/4" apart in the background.



Stats:
  • Pattern: My own design inspired by the work of Josef Albers
  • Size: 15" x 20" 
  • Fabrics: Kona Silver, Kona Black, Kona Mint and Kona Iron 
  • Thread: Pieced and quilted with Aurifil #2600 (Dove) in 50 wt 


And this is finish #5 on my 2018 FAL Q1 list! I'm killing my list this quarter!  :-)

Comments

  1. I first learned of Josef Albers through modern quilting also. Your quilting is perfect! Did you bury the threads or turn the quilt at the colored squares? Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Albers work as well and make a mini after one of his series a few years ago. It's quite amazing how different Iron looks against the black. I look forward to seeing this mini series grow for you. Do you have any plans for what you are going to do with the grouping of minis you make?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never knew about Josef Albers....wow the inspiration is amazing!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just started looking at Josef Albers' work for inspiration on a mini quilt I'll be making. Thanks for the tip on the app! I look forward to seeing your series too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, yeah! What a cool effect with the iron gray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun color study. The app look interesting. Thank you for sharing and for linking up to TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FUN! Love the straight line quilting to make the colored rectangles pop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun! I especially love the straight line quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fun mini! I really like how the little gray square looks so different when surrounded by the other colors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment