A Modern Log Cabin Finish

During the 2017-2018 year, the Montreal MQG is hosting a really fun activity for its members - a skill builder challenge where we present a traditional block every month and encourage our members to modernize the block.  All of the blocks made by our quilters will be put together in charity quilts at the end of the year.

I was presenting the log cabin block at the November meeting this week. To get ready for my presentation, I decided I needed to finish my green log cabin quilt which had been on my FAL list for many, many quarters!


I used improv piecing for the blocks and framed a few of them with a grey solid border. I didn't cut into any of my stash for this quilt top - I used nothing but scraps.  I had such a great time remembering the quilts these scraps came from.  Such as these cute owls that I used in a baby quilt for a good friend of mine 3 years ago.


And this Harry Potter fabric from the quilt my son Max and I designed together.


I quilted this quilt with some free-motion flowers with Aurifil 50 wt in green (#2890) and used a few green fat quarters for the backing.



This will be a baby quilt for grand-baby number 3 - who is scheduled to make his arrival in early February. I've never been this early for a baby quilt before!


Quilt Stats:
  • Pattern: No pattern was used for this one
  • Size: 54" x 54" before washing
  • Fabrics: All scraps and fat quarters from my stash for the backing
  • Thread: Pieced and quilted with Aurifil #2890 in 50 wt.
  • Recipient: Grand-baby number 3 due in February


I will be linking up at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and at What a Hoot! for TGIFF.  This is also my 3rd finish off the 2017 Q4 FAL List!

Comments

  1. Wow, you are definitely prepared for grandbaby #3. I like how the colors work together in the quilt and the fabrics are sure to be fun to look at and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this one...all the greens and especially how you framed some in the darker fabrics and the quilting design! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! Love those greens. And struck me funny about the quilt back... I'm doing a round up of quilt backs (hopefully today) and using fat-quarters is one of my ideas! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out great! I love the improv and log cabins are so perfect for it! Beautiful quilting and beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the scraps in this! Lucky grandbaby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on being ahead. It's a great quilt. I love that owl print. I only had a few scraps, and they're all gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, Izzy, this is so cool! And you get a double bonus with this one - a UFO off the FAL list, and an early finish for a gift. :) I love the perky greens. I also find it enjoyable to work with scraps and remember the original projects as they come up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great improv log cabins, I really like all of the green prints.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! on this lush and lovely baby quilt. Finishes MONTHS ahead of baby? Unheard of!! LOVE that you made it a size that will be usable for years to come. That's good planning!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt! And congrats on finishing ahead of the baby's due date!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment