Harry Potter Quilt Finished!

And we have another finish!!


This Harry Potter quilt was started back in May, when my son asked me if I'd be willing to teach him to quilt. A good friend of his is a huge Harry Potter fan and her birthday is in November; he knows making your first quilt isn't an overnight project so he asked me way ahead of time.

He found the design and ordered the fabric (a mix of Harry Potter fabrics by Camelot, some Kona solids and prints from Spoonflower). I taught him about the 1/4" seam allowance, showed him how to pin so his seams would match up and he learned how to press (not iron) his seams open.  He did a great job.


The middle piece is all I had to sew - a bunch of HSTs and small pieces. I also pieced the backing from all of the extra fabric he ordered but didn't use (he obviously had no idea how much fabric we would need!)


I sandwiched it, quilted it and put the binding on.

I used Aurifil #2600 in 50 wt for the quilting and used my walking foot to quilt horizontal wavy lines. The texture of the quilt is amazing!

The quilt just needs a good wash and then it'll be wrapped up and offered to a very lucky girl for her birthday!  And I get to brag about my 2nd finish from my 2017 Q4 FAL list!

Quilt Stats:
  • Pattern: The design was inspired by this quilt
  • Size: 60" x 70"
  • Fabrics: Kona cottons, some Harry Potter fabrics by Camelot Fabrics and prints from Spoonflower
  • Thread: Pieced and quilted with Aurifil #2600 in 50 wt.
  • Recipient: My son's friend for her birthday


I will linking up at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and at Anja Quilts for TGIFF.


Comments

  1. This is really wonderful! I like how the design incorporates a lighting bolt, the three main characters, and the house colors. Your son's friend is quite lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great first quilt! He did an awesome job from choosing the fabrics to the layout! I know he (and you) must be so proud and what a lucky recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun quilt!!! And I love that this was a joint quilty adventure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing quilt! I love that your son made this for a friend! What great memories you will have together of sharing these moments. And the final product is just awesome! That is one lucky girl! I love everything about this story Izzy! All the feels! đź’•Thanks for sharing. You must be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool quilt, he did a great job! So great that your son is interested in quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that is so much fun - what a gorgeous first quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! to your son on his first quilt. What a thoughtful gift for his HP loving friend. Awesome interpretation of the inspiration quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks awesome! Congrats to you both on the finish. You make a great team.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He did a great job. I love the middle section.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty darn impressive! What a fun story behind this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky friend, indeed! Especially to be the reason he wanted to learn to quilt. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That turned out great!!! Glad he wanted to learn and did most of the piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this quilt! Where did you get the three main characters? Is there a specific fabric I should order?
    I want to make a similar one for my grandbaby

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment