Nautical Baby Quilt for Grand-baby #2

In exactly one month, my second grand-child is due and I cannot wait to meet him.  And of course, you know I was going to have a quilt ready for him when he finally got here!

His parents decorated the nursery with a nautical theme... lots of blue and grey with a touch of red and chocolate brown.  As soon as I got the theme and the colours, I spent some time on Pinterest to gather inspiration and then got my paper and markers out to come up with a design.


I then texted the design to my daughter-in-law to make sure something like this is what she had in mind and she loved it!  I knew I'd be able to find everything I needed right in my stash so started "shopping".  I pulled some Kona Silver for the background, three different blue fat quarters, two red ones and a brown one.


I figured out the piecing for the sailboat and the fish myself (they were both pretty easy) but for the anchor, I used this tutorial by the Hopeful Homemaker.

I thought wavy lines would be perfect for a nautical quilt so used my walking foot and some Aurifil thread in Dove (#2600).


The baby shower was on Sunday, July 16 and I'm happy to report that the mom-to-be was absolutely thrilled about the quilt.

Quilt Stats:

Pattern: The overall design is mine, but I used a tutorial by Hopeful Homemaker for the anchor
Size: 36" x 56"
Fabrics: Kona Silver and a few different fat quarters from my stash
Thread: Pieced and quilted with Aurifil #2600 in 50 wt
Recipient:  Grand-baby #2

I'll be linking up at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and at Pretty Piney for TGIFF.


Comments

  1. Love the theme! Great job designing it! And the quilting is perfect for it! Congrats on the soon to be grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous, Izzy! The wavy lines are definitely the perfect choice for quilting this one, and the dark binding frames it so nicely. What did you use for the backing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a good theme for a quilt this will I am sure be treasured

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I especially love that it's your own design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so talented! This turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who wouldn't be thrilled with this quilt! It's adorable! The quilting is the perfect match with the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this quilt, the machine quilting is just so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely quilt, Izzy!! And the wavy quilt lines are perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Izzy,
    What a lovely quilt for the baby-to-be. I am hosting a shower for my niece who is due in about 6 weeks. We don't know the gender, but I would love to add this to my list of quilts to make. It turned out great - I can see why your daughter-in-law loves it. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is super cute and original. I loved seeing the difference between the sketch and finished quilt. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! The quilting is perfect for the design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very impressed! Very fun to see how a quilt gets made from beginning to end. Great design! Do you design a new quilt every time you have a gift to make?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this quilt, the machine quilting is just so perfect.


    เย็ดสาว

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment