Missing the U Finish

Well the finishes are few and far between around here these days. Over the past few weeks, the little bit of sewing time I've had, I spent quilting house quilts for #QuiltsforQc. But this past week, I decided to do a little bit of selfish sewing and finished my Missing the U quilt!


I had so much fun making this quilt - the slab blocks are made entirely with my scraps, no fat quarter was cut in the making of this quilt! And would you believe this barely made a dent in my scrap bins.

I finished piecing the top back on March 14 and I had it hanging in my sewing room while I worked on other projects, trying to figure out how I wanted to quilt it.  I could have gone with an allover meander or some straight lines or maybe even some wavy lines. In the end though, I decided to invest a little bit more time and quilt a bunch of different designs - one for each colour.

I started with some "flower power" in the pink section...


Some paisleys in the red section...


Fun swirls in the orange blocks:


I tried my new quilt ruler and specialty foot for the green section along with some back and forth lines and pebbles...


One of my favourite designs for the blue blocks... wood grain


And finally, a soft meander in the purple parts:


I love all that texture...


For the binding, I went with Kona Charcoal.


It hasn't been washed yet, but I can't wait to see what happens after it goes in the dryer and crinkles up a bit.

Quilt Stats:
  • Pattern:  Missing the U by Cheryl Arkison from the book Sunday Morning Quilts
  • Size: 75" x 90”
  • Fabrics: A rainbow of scraps
  • Thread: Pieced with Aurifil #2600 in 50 wt and quilted with Aurifil #2479 (pink) 50 wt, #2230 (red) 50 wt, #2150 (orange) 40 wt, #2845 (green) 40 wt, #2720 (blue) 50 wt and #2520 (purple) 40 wt.
  • Recipient:  I haven't decided yet :-)
I will be linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and at Charly and Ben's Crafty Corner for TGIFF.

This is also project number 3 on my Q2 list for the 2017 FAL


Comments

  1. It's beautiful! Maybe you'd like to link up to Finished or Not Friday on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a quilt to my heart ;))) - jazzy colors, scraps, gorgeous texture - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love that you quilted each area differently. It adds to the scrappy nature and keeps me wanting to go back and study the quilt for more details. Beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOOOOVE - I told you on IG that I loved it but I love it so much more up close!!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love a rainbow of colours and I spotted some me and my sister fabrics I have in there too - lovely way to use up some scraps! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Scrappy rainbow quilts are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful finish! I love all of the quilting designs you used for each part of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome scrap quilt! Love all you quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! The scrappiness and texture are amazing. I want to make a similar quilt sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that pattern of Cheryl Arkison's. My stash is slowly growing in the brighter colors, so I should be able to do a similar one some day. Now my scraps are dark and somber.......on to brighter! That's my new mantra!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to try that woodgrain quilting stitch - I like the looks of it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment