Project Quilting 8: Tuned in to Texture

For Project Quilting this week, we were asked to open our eyes and tune in to the different patterns and textures "in the wild" which could be inspiration for a quilt or quilted item.  You can read the blog post here.

The same day I read that blog post by Persimon Dreams, I heard the news that a crazy gunman had murdered 6 and injured 5 others in a mosque right down the highway from where I live.  The news shocked and terrified me and all of the sudden, everything was just ugly and scary and sad.

Then I got an email from the President of the Montreal MQG.  "How about we make some quilts for those families?" I immediately felt better - there was something I could do to bring a little joy, a little love. And the response from the quilting community was amazing. Not that it is surprising at all - us quilters sure know how to come together when our neighbours are hurting. (If you'd like to learn more about the #quiltsforqc initiative, go here.)

All that to say that when I came home after work on Monday, I felt a little bit better.  And as I sat down to the dinner table that night, my eyes stopped on a beautiful bouquet of flowers my hubby bought for me just a few days before (he's a wonderful man who buys me flowers every single week). That's when I knew I found my "pattern".


I decided to make a big, white, happy flower and turn it into a pillow cover.  I started by piecing some green scraps into a background for the foliage.  I traced the petals on white fabric and appliqued them to the green background using my FMQ foot.  I then added some texture by quilting flowers in the border and foliage.


The binding is a pink stripe from the Good Neighbors collection designed by Amanda Jean of Crazy Mom Quilts.  I love that fabric collection!


Here's a close-up of the flower.  Definitely not my best work, but I'm very happy with it because it got done!!  And now I have a cute pillow for my sewing room!


I will be submitting this finish for voting at Project Quilting 8 over at Persimon Dreams.

And I will also link it up at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and at Summer Lee Quilts for TGIFF.

Comments

  1. That's a wonderful flower. It's very happy against it's green background. I'm glad it could help to lift your spirits a bit after the terrible news about the shooting at the mosque.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that was so close to you. I am sending prayers. Way to find some sunshine in such a gloomy time. Love the pillow. It is so bright and happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a beautiful flower and a lovely way to raise your hope again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cute, and happy, and just the thing we need in the world today. Thanks for the smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I really like your new pillow and the quilting texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your flower is beautiful! Loved the pieced background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a love affair with cushion covers and yours is fabulous, especially seeing the bouquet and then your creation! My heart is breaking for the dads whose lives were stolen and I am here from the sidebar of the Montreal MQG because I am just cutting into some fabric to send you lovely people a couple house blocks. AmitiƩ Namaste and hugs from a Canuck in FL right now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a cute pillow. Your interpretation of the flowers turned out great. That shooting was terrible -- didn't realize it was so close to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great little quilt! making quilt for folks in a time of tragedy helps makes me feel a little better too. I know there's nothing that can really heal all the horror of it but maybe something I make can create some comfort.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment