Urban Chained Placemats

I learned something about myself over the last couple of weeks... I don't like slow stitching and I don't like sewing curves. I tried, I really did.  I attended a Cheryl Arkison workshop in October thanks to the Montreal MQG and I loved the workshop, but then I decided to pull out my Urban Chained pattern which was on my FAL list for Q4.

I spent an entire sew-in day with the MMQG cutting all the curves and I was determined to make the whole quilt before the end of the year.  And that's when I realized I really didn't like sewing curves. They are slow, tedious and there's too much trimming.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Urban Chained pattern. I think it's gorgeous, but I just don't have the patience, or the time, right now.  So I took the blocks I had made and decided to turn them into smaller makes: placemats.


I used a bunch of different fat quarters in blues and Kona Cloud for the background.  The binding is Kona Nautical. I quilted them with wavy horizontal lines with my walking foot.



So I don't have that beautiful Urban Chained quilt, but I do have some pretty cool placemats for my dining room.


And I've got another finish off my 2016 FAL list for Q4.  That's 4 out of 4!  Yay me!

Quilts Stats:

  • Pattern:  Urban Chained by Sew Kind of Wonderful
  • Size: each placemat measures 12" x 18"
  • Fabrics: Various blue fat quarters, Kona Cloud and Kona Nautical
  • Thread: Pieced and quilted with Aurifil #2600 (50 wt)
  • Recipient:  My dining room table!
I will be linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and at Sparrow In Flight for TGIFF.


Comments

  1. if you have been looking to advantage muscle for any duration of time, you've got probable figured out that education is handiest half of the equation. http://www.healthsupreviews.com/ef13-muscle-supplement-reviews/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a class to learn how to make the Urban Candy quilt. I wanted to learn how to properly use the ruler and sew curves. I left the class thinking the same as you, I do not like sewing curves. It's too slow. I took the class with my mom and she was not happy to hear me say this because my practice blocks were the nicest out of the whole class but I explained to her that I think it's ok that there is finally a part of quilting that I don't like! I am disappointed though because I love all of the Sew Wonderful patterns. Your placemats are great Izzy! I might just have to borrow this idea with the blocks I have made from my class because I know I will never make the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. C'est une très bonne idée de récupération. Tu vois, moi la conférence m'a donné le goût de faire des courbes, et j'ai bien aimé. C'est peut-être mon expérience lointaine de confection de vêtements (vive les manches) qui m'a aidé à aimer ça. Mais je trouve que c'est difficile d'être très précise. Et wow, tes coins de napperon sont vraiment carrés !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the quilt is not the finished goal but the technique. Love the place matts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These place-mats are great! What a good use for blocks when you decide you don't want to make a full quilt out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great save! No point making something that you don't like. I think they look great as placements.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea to make something smaller. After sewing a drunkards path quilt by hand I appreciate sewing with the quick curve ruler by machine. I guess the speed is all in your perspective. :) These placemats look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing wrong with giving something a try and learning about yourself and re-purposing blocks for something else. The placemats are great and look like they will be a fun way to add color to your dining experience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on completing your Q4 goals! I love using fabric placemats, I need a few more for when the regulars are in the wash.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha oops! Nice repurposing of the blocks though :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes it is better to make something different than you were planning, rather than sticking with it and hating it. These place mats are gorgeous! And congratulations on your FAL finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are really cool! On behalf of the 2016 FAL hosts, thanks for sewing along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another amongst lunch and supper. It is essential that you eat each 2.5-3 hours. The best sorts of sustenance for the weight lifter will incorporate things like steak, vegetables, drain, chicken, cheddar, angle and grouped nuts. It is all together on the off dominant testo chance that you can eat a normal of 4-6 bits of natural product once a day. Your normal
    http://www.supplementadvise.com/dominant-testo/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Given article is very helpful and very useful for my admin, and pardon me permission to share articles here hopefully helped :

    Cara Mengobati Amandel Bengkak Secara Alami
    Cara mengatasi kelebihan sel darah putih secara alami

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment