Heading South

How can it possibly be December already? And it looks like my last finish was almost a month ago! Time sure does fly...

I have been sewing - I completed my #100days100blocks Tula Pink sampler top and I'm hoping to send that off to be quilted within the next week or so.  And I finished another project on my Q4 2016 finish-along list:  Heading South.

The photos are pretty bad - we seriously haven't had a sunny day here in almost 2 weeks and it's pretty dark outside by the time I get home from work.
Heading South is a pattern designed by Amanda Castor of Material Girl Quilts.  I purchased it in May during the May is for Makers campaign and I was finally able to start working on the quilt in October.

I used Kona Charcoal for the background and nothing but scraps for the flying geese. These blocks were so much fun to make and I posted a couple of progress shots on Instagram...



I considered doing some fancy quilting in the geese and a filler in the background, but in the end, I decided to quilt it with wavy lines running vertically - sort of to follow the movement of the arrows.


Quilt Stats:

  • Pattern:  Heading South by Amanda Castor of Material Girl Quilts
  • Size: 64" x 68"
  • Fabrics: the greese are all scraps and the background is Kona Charcoal
  • Thread: Pieced with Aurifil #2605 (50 wt) and quilted with Aurifil #2630 (40 wt)
  • Recipient:  My hubby claimed that one as soon as the top was finished

And here it is now being well loved.


Will be linking up at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and at Devoted Quilter for TGIFF.

And this is project number 2 on my Q4 2016 FAL list so I will be linking there too!

Comments

  1. Izzy, to be made from scraps, they work well together! Congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely! Congrats on your finish - I posted on our FAL fb page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome you were able to use your scraps. I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making scrap quilts with just one background fabric. It really ties everything together. Your wavy quilting lines are perfect with all the flying geese and it's great to see the quilt being properly appreciated :) Thanks for linking to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!! Such great colors and love the background :)
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat quilt! Love it! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment