Baby Quilt for Alexa

A colleague at work is having her first baby soon. And what happens when a quilter finds out someone in their circle is having a baby? We make a quilt of course! When she announced she was pregnant a few months ago, my first reaction was "Yay! I have to make a baby quilt!"

She doesn't know the sex of the baby so I needed to choose pretty gender neutral fabrics for this one. Once I finalized my fabric pull, I had to choose a pattern that would showcase the super cute prints. I decided to go with Strip It Down by Stephanie Palmer for Quilt Theory.



The pattern is for a quilt that's 48" x 60" but I wanted to make mine a little bit smaller so I wouldn't have to join pieces on the back.  I cut the "bricks" a bit shorter (7 1/2") and the solid borders a bit narrower. I think I managed to keep the "spirit" of the design intact and ended up with the perfect size for this baby quilt:  42" long by 36" wide.


For the quilting, I went with my favourite FMQ design - a big meander in Aurifil 2600 in 50wt.  I love quilting this design - it's super quick, looks awesome and after washing, leaves a wonderful texture on the quilt.


The backing is an awesome print I found at Craft de Ville.  And the binding is leftovers from other quilts.


I'm super happy with this little finish and cannot wait to give it to Alexa!

Quilt Stats:

  • Pattern:  Strip It Down by Stephanie Palmer for Quilt Theory
  • Size: 42" x 36"
  • Fabrics: Bricks are a collection from Connecting Threads, the sashing and borders are Kona Snow and Kona Charcoal. The backing is by Robert Kaufman fabrics.
  • Thread: Pieced and quilted with Aurifil #2600 (50 wt)
  • Recipient:  My colleague Alexa


I will be linking up at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and at Anja Quilts for TGIFF.

Comments

  1. So cute! Great prints and perfect for a gender neutral baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finish. Those animals are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out so well! What a great way to modify the pattern and celebrate your colleague's first born. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous!! It's the perfect pattern for showcasing prints like this! What a wonderful gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you love making baby quilts? Not too big that you can't finish them quickly and just big enough to make a fun pattern! You chose fun fabrics, the texty backing fabric is really great, too! Your colleague is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To save your self cash and to protect your health, you may need to keep in mind consulting together with your medical doctor earlier than starting any weight loss program, even one that you expand yourself. http://greentheorygarcinia.com/pure-asian-garcinia/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment