Scrappy Blue Quilt Finish

I use blue a lot in my quilts - a lot!  So it's not surprising that I ended up with two overflowing bins of blue scraps. And I mean overflowing - I could barely put the lids on my bins.

I've been trying to use up more of my scraps lately and the #100days100blocks quilt along that I've been participating in is helping a bit, but I'm not using nearly as many of my scraps as I thought I would.  So a couple of weeks ago, I took out one of my blue bins and started piecing blocks.

And before long, I had a fun quilt top made with nothing but scraps...

It's raining cats and dogs here today and the forecast is calling for more rain for the next 4 days so I'm stuck with indoor pictures in very poor lighting - apologies!

I used more scraps - grey ones - to frame every other square to try and reduce the chaos a bit and I really like the effect.


Some of these scraps are really old - like those more traditional flowery fabrics in there.  And there are some of my favourite modern fabrics too - the ones I used in some of the quilts I love the most.


I quilted it with organic wavy lines with my walking foot with a soft blue Aurifil thread.


Making this quilt was such a fun exercise. I loved the freedom of piecing together random bits of fabric with no plan and no need to be exact with my seams.

The total size of the quilt is 60" x 75".  I used 20 blocks in a 4 x 5 grid - each block is 15" finished.


And I'm happy to report that the first blue bin is now only about a quarter full!


I will linking up at Crazy Mom Quilts (who is also a big fan of scrappy quilts!) and at Rainbows Bunnies Cupcakes for TGIFF.

And this is project number 4 on my FAL list for Q4!  Yay for finishes!  :-)

Comments

  1. Good job sewing thru your scraps! I've been in the mood to sew a scrappy quilt but need to finish a few things first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it and agree that the grey borders on some blocks does tame the overall look. What a fantastic finish from the scrap bin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo pour avoir vidé autant. Et c'est très amusant d'avoir des tissus si différents qui se côtoient. En effet, il mouille pas à peu près, programme de couture intensive au programme en fin de semaine, en espérant qu'il va me rester du temps pour moi après avoir terminé la confection des costumes d'Halloween. Pas facile les photos à l'intérieur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that this quilt is like a walk down memory lane for you! And yay for making a dent in your scrap bins, now you can work on filling her up again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have mixed modern and traditional fabrics with wonderful effect and ended up with a lovely quilt. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the scrappy quilts and need to tackle one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I really love the effect of the grey frames around some of the blocks, and the mix of blue fabrics is so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your quilt. There's a randomness from all the improv, and an organization with the color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have motivated me to get sewing more scraps. I am working on a phone book page foundation string quilt. But the scraps keep multiplying. This is beautiful. I love blue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great way to use up those scraps. It's a great project. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great quilt! I like how you framed your scraps!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your quilt .... scrappy is the best!! The organic lines were a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilt! The scrappiness really works! And what a nice feeling to make a dent in the scraps!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment