I saw a picture online a few months ago of a quilt (of course I can't find it again now) but there was no pattern and no tutorial, so I got out my graph paper book and started drawing. Within a couple of hours, I had a design I really liked and vaguely resembled that picture.
The tricky thing was making sure I could "cut" the design into sections that would result in rows or columns that could be sewn together after they were quilted. I then did the math, cut the fabric for each section, pieced each section and then quilted it.
I used Kona Ash for the background and a bundle of Kate Spain's Daydream for the coloured blocks.
I used my Hera marker and randomly traced straight lines for the quilting.
Once all my sections were quilted, I used MR's method to sew them together into a quilt! It was like magic!
For the binding, I used some Kona Mint I had in my stash. It very closely matches the green in some of the blocks and adds a nice pop of colour at the edge of the quilt.
This experiment, I think, was a success! This quilt is now going to the Island House. The finished size is 72" x 88", perfect for the twin bed we have in our guest bedroom.
And I leave you with a outtake of the photo shoot we had yesterday. The weather wasn't great so we couldn't go very far from the house and it was super windy!
I will be linking up at TGIFF hosted by Laura this week and Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday.