A Schnibble, organisation and some visitors!


Week 1 of my summer vacation is now over.  We've had some great weather so far and made lots of progress on the new deck.  We even got the roof of the garage painted!  We did get a bit of rain so I spent a few hours at my sewing machine.

My first order of business this week was completing the top of this month's Schnibble:  Dimestore.

Designed by Carrie Nelson.
Made with Christmas Magic charm packs.
I decided to use Christmas fabric for this month's Schnibble for 2 reasons:  1 - I really like that fabric and 2 - August is a good time to start my holiday quilting!   When I first saw the Dimestore pattern, I wasn't super excited about it - it looked a little blah to me.  But when I started making the blocks, I found myself having lots of fun with this pattern.  It came together really fast and I got to practice matching seams - lots and lots of matching seams in this one!

When I finished the Dimestore top, I decided to tackle my scraps.  A long time ago, I had started cutting my scraps into small squares of different sizes and at the time, they all fit into one shoe-size plastic bin.  After spending just a couple of hours cutting squares, I had enough to start organising them by size - one bin for 2" and 2 1/2" squares, one bin for 3" and 3 1/2" squares and one bin for 5" squares.  I also organised some of my WIPs and BOM blocks into more plastic bins.  My sewing room is now without the piles and piles and scraps and ongoing projects!  I love it!

I found the bins on sale at Home Depot for $0.97 each!  I wish I had a way to make cute removable labels for these bins.

I'm going to end this post with a picture of a couple of visitors we had one night...  I was outside with the kids and the dog, cooking supper on the BBQ, when the dog started barking and clawing at a huge maple tree we have in the yard.

Now, this dog chases squirrels all the time so I thought this was one of those times, but no, Bronx was after a couple of bigger visitors...

Can you see the tail of the 2nd racoon at the top left of the picture?!
I think the racoons are adorable, but I much prefer them away from my house!  Thankfully, as soon as we put Bronx in the house, the visitors came down and went into the woods next door.

We will be leaving for the cottage for week 2 of my vacation later on today or tomorrow.  I hope to have a whole bunch of projects to show off when I'm back again.

Linking up at Sew Many Ways for Sew Darn Crafty!



Have a great week!

Izzy

Comments

  1. Dimestore looks great. I like the patterned background. Glad to hear you ended up liking it. I have been in avoidance mode, but need to get going on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you got organized. I should take a lesson from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Schnibble! I still have to start mine. Hopefully my sewing room will be ready to sew in later today! How/why does one paint a roof? Is it metal? The only removable labels I can think of are post-its. Or maybe you can find some sort of clear envelope to place a label card into?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome that you got your Dimestore quilt top done. All I have done so far is the cutting. You did Christmas fabric and I'm using Fall fabric. Good for you getting some scraps organized, mine need that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.staples.com/Binder-Pocket-and-Label-Holders-Label-Holders/product_SS942115

    I found these on Staples - might these work for removable label holders for your bins? They're meant for the sides of binders, but I bet you could make them work for the boxes - or, if not, there's got to be something similar, like mini sheet protectors for 3x5 cards that you could stick on there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Schnibbles is very striking.
    Check out Karen's post at Sew Many Ways for chalk board contact paper labels. I'm thinking they would work very well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Dimestore! You aren't kidding about the matching seams :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment