My #sewfrugal22 Make

I've been having a lot of fun participating in sewing challenges this year. I made something in February for the #bhmpatterndesigners challenge (you can read about my Hug Hoodie here) and in March, I decided to play along with Ruan (@theyorkshiresewgirl) and Sam (@frugalisama) for #sewfrugal22. The goal of this challenge is to:

  1. Pick a free pattern
  2. Choose a fabric from your stash
  3. Make the project during the month of March
  4. Post a picture of your make on Instagram, tagging both Ruan and Sam, and using the #sewfrugal22 hashtag.
There are a ton of prizes to be won, but more important than that, if you look at the hashtag on IG, you'll get so much inspiration for sewing with free patterns.

For my project, I decided to make a set: a tank and a cardigan.


The tank is the Lago Tank by Itch-to-Stitch. I have sewn a number of Itch-to-Stitch patterns over the last couple of years and they usually fit me really well without any adjustments. The Lago was no different - I made a straight size 18 and it fit like a glove. I love the lower scoop neck and there is more than enough bra coverage both at the armhole and with the straps. I can definitely see myself make more of these for the summer.


The cardigan is the Harper by Sinclair Patterns. I had made this pattern once before, but in a much smaller size and for my daughter. The size range for Sinclair Patterns is fairly inclusive and they offer three height charts: petite, regular and tall. I made a size XL (regular) in the cropped version.

I thought I had 2.5 meters of my fabric, but turns out I only had a tiny bit over 2 meters. So I had to do some very creative cutting to get the cardigan out of the fabric I had left after making the tank (which only requires 1 yard). As a result, I had to make the 3/4 sleeves and drop the cuffs. I'm not unhappy about the look though and I think this set will be very appropriate when the weather gets a little warmer.


The fabric is a double brushed poly in navy with cream flowers. It is wonderfully soft and light - these two pieces are incredibly comfortable to wear.

I would call my first participation in the #sewfrugal challenge a pretty successful one. I'm pleased with my garments and I've now a huge collection of free patterns!



Comments