My Top 5 Winter Patterns

I went through my cool weather patterns recently and thought it would be fun to make a list of my favourite ones and share it with you!

When making the list, I had these criteria:

  • The pattern needed to be appropriate for a beginner
  • I had made a garment from it multiple times
  • I wore the garments often
All right - this is going to be a fairly long read so let's get started with the first pattern!

The Blackwood Cardigan by Helen's Closet


I made 4 cardigans from this pattern - one short and three long. This is probably my most used pattern and some of my most worn garments. The pattern instructions are incredibly well-written and hold your hand every step of the way. The size range goes from 0 to 34 (for a bust up to 62") and the front pieces are available in a B and a D cup. 

This is the perfect project for a beginner who wants to venture into knit garments.

Here are my four cardigans. All are a size 18 (with a D cup front) and a 1/2" full bicep adjustment. The first two are made with cotton jerseys and the last two with a Liverpool fabric (a double knit).



The Busan Top by Itch-to-Stitch


The Busan Top is a perfect example of a basic that's not really basic at all! Or basic with a twist. It has a round crew neckline and a straight hem but those sleeves are pretty cool. The shoulder is cut in a bit, giving the shoulders the appearance of being a bit narrower and the slight pouf is made with pleats. The sleeve is then gathered into an extra long cuff.

I made three tops from this pattern and wore them all a ton. So much so that they are all now "retired" and I have plans to make at least one more.

The pattern accommodates a bust up to 46 1/4". I made a size 18 for all three of my tops, but when I make this again, I'll add a 1" full bust adjustment to eliminate some of the lines under the bust.

The grey and pink Busan was the first one I made and I used Ponte remnants. The red and blue one was made with a French Terry for the sleeves and neckband and a Liverpool remnant from my red Blackwood Cardigan. I don't have pictures of my third one unfortunately.


La Bella Donna by Love Notions


The La Bella Donna pattern has many options - short sleeves, long grown-on sleeves, a cowl, a hood, a straight hem or a rounded hem. I made a short-sleeved top and two tunics - one with a cowl and one with the round neck.

The size range for this pattern, just like most Love Notions patterns, is XS to 5X. I made all three of my version in an XL.

My short-sleeved version is made with a viscose jersey, the red tunic is an ITY and the black one is another viscose jersey.



Seamwork Oliver


This is another pretty basic top but I love the boat neckline and the lantern sleeves. The pattern doesn't require fabric with a lot of stretch so you could use a Ponte, a French Terry or a beautiful sweater knit to make this. The size range is 0 to 26, accommodating a bust up to 54".

I made this pattern twice and I wear both tops all the time. My first one was made with a Liverpool remnant and the second is a gorgeous navy sweater knit.


Arden Pants by Helen's Closet


The Arden pants are an elasticated waist pants with slanted pockets in the front and optional back patch pockets. They are very easy to sew and fit and can be made in a variety of light to medium weight fabrics. The pattern comes in sizes 0 to 30 to accommodate hips up to 58".

I made my pants in a size 18 based on my hip measurement. I'm pretty straight up and down - there isn't a large difference between my waist and my hips so the gathering of the elastic is pretty minimal on me. And because I never tuck in my tops, you basically can't tell these are elastic waist pants.

I made three pairs of Arden pants: one in a dark grey cotton twill, one in a brown stretch suiting (not my favourite!) and a gorgeous navy linen. 


And those are my favourite patterns to sew in the Winter - but if I'm honest, they are some of my favourite patterns to sew all year 'round!

Do you have a "tried and true" pattern you keep going back to over and over again? Please let me know in the comments.

Comments