My Latest Fabric Haul

Over the Holidays, Blackbird Fabrics had a remnant sale and I managed to get a few pieces. Blackbird Fabrics is one of my favourite fabric shop - it's based in Canada, the quality is top-notch and it's a small business owned by a woman. They have a really good selection of fabric and I've placed many orders with them - and I've always been satisfied with their products.


I thought I'd document my purchase here and if the fabric is still available, provide you with the links. I also have a video on YouTube all about this small fabric haul.


The first fabric is a rayon blend satin in a pale pink. This remnant piece is 0.6 meter. My plan for this fabric is to make sleep masks. I found a pattern on the Tilly and the Buttons website and it looks pretty straightforward. I should be able to a few masks with this much fabric.


This is a very lightweight merlot and white cotton lawn. I have 1.3 meters of this fabric which should be enough for a sleeveless top for the Summer. I'm thinking this would make a really nice Ashton Top (by Helen's Closet). This fabric is only 42" wide so I doubt I would be able to get anything with sleeves to fit on it.


This next fabric is a bamboo and cotton stretch fleece in the colour Jewel. I have two pieces - one is 0.6 meter and the other is 0.9 meter. This fabric is incredibly soft on the wrong side. It would make a vey nice and cozy sweatshirt such as the Love Notions Sloane Sweater.


This is a Tencel and organic cotton French Terry in the colour Spruce. I also have two remnant pieces of this fabric totalling 1.5 meter. This fabric is really soft on the outside and has the loopy texture on the back. My daughter has already requested that I make her a hoodie with this fabric and I decided to go with the Unwind Sweater by Pattern Emporium.


This one is a black and white windowpane print on a yard-dyed cotton. I have a 1.4 meter piece of it (and it's also 42" wide) and I've already decided that this will become an Ashton Top (by Helen's Closet). 


The final piece of fabric is 2.8 meters of a natural cotton muslin. I plan to use that inexpensive fabric to check the fit on a pair of pants I plan to make.

I won't be using all of these fabrics right away and I don't have definite plans for many of them, but these will be great additions to my dressmaking fabric stash - which isn't nearly as large as my quilting fabric stash. 

Do you have suggestions for me? Do you know of a top pattern I could make with my narrower pieces of fabric?

Comments