The Itch-to-Stitch Seychelles Top

When Itch-to-Stitch came out with their new Seychelles top pattern recently, I pressed the Buy button almost immediately. I loved the V neck, the fun pleats on the short sleeves and the narrow shoulders. I have found lately that most of the patterns I make are a little too wide for me and I keep forgetting to make a narrow shoulder adjustment. Well - Seychelles has a narrow shoulder built-in!


The pattern itself is really straight-forward to sew, even the pleats and the V neck. However, the fabric I chose to make my version of the Seychelles was hard to work with for me. Now keep in mind that I'm still a beginner at garment sewing. So shifty, fluid and very drapey fabrics are a bit of a challenge. This is a gorgeous viscose crepe from Blackbird Fabrics in the colour "Lagoon".


I never thought green was a colour that suits me. But do I love this green. It's a nice cool, blueish green and I like the way it looks on me.

The fit of this garment is good (not perfect). I find it's a little bit big in the upper bust area and a tiny bit too small in the hips area. I made a straight size 18 with a C cup and that is typically the size I go with for Itch-to-Stitch patterns. I know I can very easily grade up to a 20 at the hips, but I'm really not sure how I would tackle the fit issue at the high bust.


When I made this again, and yes, I'll definitely make this again, I'll shorten the top by about 1.5 inch so that it lands a little closer to my high hip. If I do that, I may not even need to grade up to a size 20 at the hips because the top is going to hit at a point that's a bit narrower.

I think I should also shorten the bust darts by about 1/2 inch.


I absolutely love the neckline on this top! It hits me at my very favourite spot - not too low and not too high. It's perfect for a cute necklace and brings the eye up toward my face and away from my middle which has grown significantly over the last year.

The details:

This pattern also has a view with long gathered sleeves which are absolutely stunning. I didn't have enough fabric to make that one, but I have a beautiful viscose in my stash that would be gorgeous as a long-sleeved Seychelles!



Comments