Grand Bazaar - A Scrappy Quilt Finish

I mentioned it here a few times already so you already know that I've been trying to work my way through my huge mountain of scraps. So when I was planning my next make, I took out the Stash Statement book I own - the designs in that book are gorgeous and fun to make (I already made two of the designs: Precarious and Regatta).



I had planned on making Grand Bazaar with blue scraps only but after making one panel, I decided that piecing all those panels before piecing each block was going to take way more time than I was ready to invest in this project. Instead, I searched through my scraps boxes looking for pieces large enough to piece the lanterns. I ended up using up the one panel for a lantern and then found blue, green and orange scraps to piece the others. The background fabric is Kona Charcoal.


The quilting is, once again, vertical wavy lines in Aurifil 50 wt thread. The backing is a blue polka dot fabric I've had in my stash for a while. I didn't have quite enough length so used up some more scraps on the back. The binding is Kona Charcoal.


I'm pretty pleased that I managed to use scraps for this quilt, but my bins are still full! I guess I'll have to plan many more scrappy projects - any ideas?

The details:
  • Pattern: Grand Bazaar from the book Stash Statement by Kelly Young
  • Size: 54.5" x 60.5"
  • Fabrics: Kona Charcoal (background) and scraps
  • Thread: Pieced and quilted with Aurifil #2630 (dark grey) in 50 wt

Comments

  1. Beautiful! Maybe it's time to make a Scrap Vortex quilt? Can't wait to see what you make with your scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how the one pieced lantern is a focal point in the quilt top. This looks like a great solution to me and a bright and fun finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks SO fun! And I love that it's entirely made from your scrap stash - keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment