Thursday, June 12, 2014

Nested Churn Dash Finish

I couldn't believe that my last finish post was back on April 24!!! What the heck have I been doing for the last 2 months?!

Anyhow - I do have a finish to share today! Yay!

Late last night, I put the last stitches on the binding of my Nested Churn Dash mini quilt.

First, let me apologize for the bad photography... It's nasty grey and rainy here today so had to take pictures in my basement.

I mentioned the Nested Churn Dash QAL a couple of time already, but just in case, here are the details:

  • Pattern designed by Quilt Jane.
  • You can purchase the pattern for this 24" block here (it's a real bargain at $2!)
  • You can see everyone's Nested Churn Dash on Instagram by using #nestedchurndash.

There are some stunning examples of this block used in big quilts. I'm thinking I might have to make one too.

For my mini, I chose to use scraps of the Vintage Modern collection by Bonnie and Camille with some Kona Snow as the background.

The binding is a Fig Tree & Co print from the Avalon collection.

For the quilting, I decided to try a few different designs. In the inner rounds, I used circles and pepples on the printed fabric.

I really wasn't crazy about the circles, so I went with something a little bit different in the outer round: some swirls.

I much prefer those!

On the background fabric, I quilted some dense back and forth lines and I am in love with the texture!

It feels really good to finally have something finished to share with you. My Nested Churn Dash mini is now proudly displayed on the wall of my sewing room with my other mini quilts.

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts, My Quilt Infatuation and TGIFF.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Izzy

 

18 comments:

  1. Wow Izzy that is gorgeous! I love it just as a dinle block too! Your quilting is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that quilting, and what a cute mini!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought that pattern and added it to my list. I love yours! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dense back and forth quilting gives it great texture, congrats on finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your mini quilt and your quilting is fabulous. QuiltJane is one amazing designer. Thanks for sharing. Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have a look at mini quilts. So far I have only made single bed size quilts and I seem to be ages between finishes. I love the simplicity of this and the quilting too. It would be a good place for me to start to learn FMQ too. at the moment I feel like I would ruin a bed quilt if I tried. This would be so much more manageable. Thank you for sharing on TGIFF

    ReplyDelete
  7. This mini looks so good! I have to be honest, I wasn't really feeling this QAL until I saw your version! I am going to join in next week and get the pattern and make mine. I have a wire hanging below the ceiling on one wall to hang stuff just like this, and right now it's kind of bare with just two hangings. I just love how you did the back-and-forth in the solid spaces. I might do the same if it's okay with you? I'll do the rest of mine differently, but I love the texture and it really makes a nice differentiation between the solids and the churn dash. Great finish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very fun quilt and I love the quilting on it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great quilting! I love this churn dash pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool! I will be making a king size with the nested churn dash pattern. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just beautiful, I love your choices of prints and colors. I really like how the dense quilting in the background makes the prints pop

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great Izzy! I think the churn dashes look great nested like that!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome finish! Might need to go buy that pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Churn dash is one of my favorite patterns....I love your mini quilt! I also really like all your dense quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like your quilt! It makes me want one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a great finish! Your quilting looks awesome. I love this pattern and the quilting shows it off just right:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great quilting!! Dense straight line quilting like that just gives the BEST texture!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's lovely Izzy, the colours you've used work really well and you're quilting is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS